(MICAT, March 4, 2015): The Head of Ebola Incidence Management System, Atty. Tolbert Nyanswah, has challenged Liberians to commit themselves to achieving “zero Ebola infections” “Liberia now has only one confirmed Ebola case in the ETU. “Already, counties have gone days without a single confirmed case of Ebola, but the reality
of sustaining continuous zero cases rests with every Liberian and as such, the citizenry must stay focused in winning the fight,” he said.
Nyenswah proffered the update on Wednesday, when he addressed the Ministry of Information, Cultural Affairs and Tourism daily press briefing on Ebola.
“As much as we can be confident in pledging our support to zero cases, we cannot do that successfully if we do not exert collective efforts of individuals and communities across the country,” he emphasized.
According to Minister Nyenswah, Liberia will on tomorrow March 5, 2015 discharge the last Ebola patient from the Chinese ETU in Monrovia. The Health official told Liberians that at present there is no confirmed case in the country, and if this trend continues up to 42 days, the World Health Organization will declare Liberia Ebola free.
It can be recalled that President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf launched a nationwide “No New Cases” campaign in December 2014, aimed at eradicating Ebola from Liberia and ensuring that getting rid of the disease become a part of everyone’s business.
In a related development, the Executive Director of LRRRC has disclosed that since the outbreak of the Ebola virus in the country, the agency has been involved with the distribution of Ebola preventive materials to refugee camps in the country.
Madam Abla Williams said the Liberia Refugee Repatriation Resettlement Commission (LRRRC) has distributed preventive materials to 534 family heads and 187 individuals since the outbreak of the disease in the country.
Speaking at the Ministry of Information regular press briefing on Wednesday, March 4, 2015, the LRRRC boss also disclosed that the LRRRC carried out public awareness campaign on Ebola prevention in refugee camps. She said about 37,000 refugees were reached during the exercise.
Meanwhile, the LRRRC boss praised local health authorities, UNHCR, MOD, MOH, LNP, and MIA for their efforts to the agency.
In another development, Acting Minister Isaac Jackson while presiding over the press briefing today, disclosed that the Government of Liberia has approved US$3 million for use by the University of Liberia, adding that the institution is expected to receive the amount this week.
Making the disclosure on Wednesday, Minister Jackson said the university had earlier asked for US$15 million for the reopening of the institution, but the government was making an initial contribution of US$ 3 million.
He pointed out that in 2014 the government made available 10.3m to the university while 9.9m was allotted in 2015.
The Acting MICAT boss made these clarifications based on allegations made by the former Vice President for Finance and Fscal Affairs, Prof. Wilson Tarpeh that “President Sirleaf was not supporting the UL because of his political aliment with a political party.